Skip to main content

A Weeks Walking in Northumberland » The Best Travel Destinations

Being from sunny Sussex it’s not often that I make the journey up to the north of the country and explore the countries highlights, but as we were in Newcastle for an old university friends wedding last month, we decided to extend the weekend and spend a week, walking in the Northumberland countryside. Friends had raved about the area for years saying that the combination of unspoiled coastline, castles and bustling market towns made the area very unique.
As we’d had a long drive up and had planned to be a little hung-over from the wedding we decided to not stay in one of the larger towns and book a pretty little self-catering holiday cottage where we could chill out, spend some time together and explore some of the coastlines. On a friend’s recommendation, we decided to stay in Warkworth, an ancient and picturesque village on the coast, with rugged countryside and in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Although initially, we wanted to just relax and unwind once we were there we wanted to explore the area and all the attractions in the area. We were lucky with the weather and so hired bikes and cycled along the national cycle route, had a trip to the lively town of Alnwick and the Harry Potter castle and had many walks along the coast all the way down to Alnmouth enjoying the amazing views and peaceful surroundings. We forgot to buy a map but found this website really good for some easy circular walks in the area that took us through a lot of the region's highlights and a range of contrasting landscapes. Although most of the days that we were there were sunny, we did have a couple where it was cold and the rain was lashing down. However as cottages in Northumberland are generally built of stone we just spent the days snuggled up on the sofa, cozy with the log fire on getting stuck into a good book. There was a butcher in the village with the most amazing local sausages, so we had a bottle of red and bangers and mash.
We were really surprised how much the region had to offer and it’s one of those places that you really do feel like you’re getting away from it all and appreciating the outdoors. I definitely recommend it for other couples – although if you ’re traveling from as far away as Sussex as we did, I’d recommend looking into traveling by train. Being in the car for over 7 hours and stuck on the M1 doesn’t end the holiday so well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Love To Travel

I just love to travel. I have been lucky in that I have been able to do a lot of it in the last few years. I have been able to go to 11 countries and 30 states. When I was growing up we didn't travel very much. We usually only went to see my Grandparents in Arizona. It wasn't that my parents didn't want to travel. I guess they just wanted to save money so we did more local trips. When I was 19 I got my first taste of traveling. I went to Washington DC for the week with a friend of mine. We had such a good time. We got to see almost everything. It was an amazing trip and I knew after I returned home that I loved to travel. The next trip I went on was a trip to Canada when I was 21. I went with my boyfriend at the time. We went during the wintertime so we got to check out some of the local winter sports. We were able to check out a dog sled race. As soon as we got back from Canada, I started saving for my next vacation. I knew if I didn't make it a priority, I w

Top 5 Attractions In Alicante, Spain

Located on the sunny southeastern coast of Spain, Alicante is a popular tourist spot. While Alicante’s beaches are a major draw, there are other attractions in this Spanish city that you will want to check out. Here are the top 5 attractions in Alicante: 1. Castle of Santa Barbara This 9th-century castle was built by the Moors into Mount Bencatil. It is free to visit the Castle of Santa Barbara, which is one of the largest medieval fortresses in Spain. You can walk up to the castle to take the elevator at Avenue de Juan Bautista Lafora. 2. Nightlife In Alicante, nightlife is a big part of the city. You won’t find happy hour starting in Alicante at 5 pm though. In Spain, happy hour starts close to midnight. During happy hour, you can enjoy cheap drinks and the occasional free shot. Old Town Barrio, located in the center of the city, is THE place to go for happy hour in Alicante. Hot bars include Mulligan’s, Dos Gringos and Carpe Diem. After that, move to the clubs in the Pu

Best Places To Travel During Summer

The United States has a lot of beautiful places to visit when the weather is warm. Summer always brings out the best in cities around the country. In this article, you will learn about the best places to travel during the summer. It's a good thing to know where to travel during certain seasons. Miami Beach in Florida has some of the best weather during summer. Walkthrough the sand, shop at the nearby shopping centers and enjoy fine dining all within walking distance from your hotel. Miami Beach has a lot of fun night activities such as drinking and dancing. Young couples that want to take their first trip together can make this trip a memorable experience. Families can also have loads of fun by visiting the local attractions, spending a full day at the beach, and eating great food all over the city. Pismo Beach is a beautiful place on the west coast of California. This beach is a few hours north of Los Angeles. A lot of people overlook this beach but it is a great area to spe